GlobalGiving is excited to announce the date of the final Microsoft YouthSpark Bonus Day – October 7, 2015!
In 2012, Microsoft created the company-wide, global initiative to create 300 million opportunities for youth around the world by 2015. In successfully reaching its initial three year goal, YouthSpark will come to a close on GlobalGiving, but will continue on in other ways including opportunities for youth and opportunities for nonprofits. YouthSpark on GlobalGiving has brought together over 30,000 donors to impact more than 300,000 youth through supporting over 1,000 projects around the globe.
The final YouthSpark Bonus Day will run on both GlobalGiving.co.uk and GlobalGiving.org from 12:00:01 pm EDT until 23:59:59 EDT with one consolidated leaderboard on GlobalGiving.org. There will be $75,000 available in matching funds, and the matching percentage will be determined based on a pro-rated basis based on the total amount raised that day. So, the matching percentage will be calculated using the following matching formula:
($75,000/Total amount raised) x 100 = Matching percentage
This means that all eligible donations will be matched up to $1,000 per donor per organization during the campaign.
Why is GlobalGiving and Microsoft offering a Pro-Rated Bonus Day?
In 2014, you asked us to come up with a new Bonus Day structure that would prevent funds from running out early in the day. Organizations were hearing from their supporters, who were unhappy when they gave after limited matching funds were exhausted. So, we challenged our Leadership Council to propose alternative Bonus Day structures that would allow our limited matching funds to last longer. After considering several great proposals, the Pro-Rated Bonus Day was born! We are excited to experiment with this new structure and we hope to continue to improve and evolve GlobalGiving’s matching campaigns to help our partners achieve their fundraising goals.
How to Join YouthSpark
If you are new to the YouthSpark program, please submit your eligibility to participate in the final Microsoft YouthSpark Bonus Day between September 14 – 18, 2015.
In order to qualify, your organization needs to (1) work with youth between the ages of 6 and 24 in the areas of education, job training, or entrepreneurship and (2) have Leader or Superstar status on GlobalGiving.
You can apply to participate in YouthSpark programs by completing the “Eligibility for Microsoft YouthSpark” in the Project Entry System using the following two steps:
- Click “edit project” and go to tab 1 (Basic Information). Once on tab 1 scroll down to the end of the page. You will then see a field called “Eligibility for Microsoft YouthSpark”. Answer “Yes”.
- Enter the number of unique youth that are benefitting from your project.
After you have completed these two steps, you will see that our system has calculated dollars per youth for you. The “Dollars per youth” field is not editable. This field is calculated by taking your requested funding amount and dividing it by the number of unique youths impacted by your project.
Campaign Details – Terms and Conditions
- YouthSpark Bonus Day begins at 12:00:00 EDT on October 7, 2015 and ends at 23:59:59 EDT on October 7, 2015.
- There is $75,000 in matching funds available.
- Online donations of up to $1,000 per individual donor per organization are eligible to be matched.
- Matching will be determined on a pro-rated basis. The matching percentage will be based on the total amount raised on YouthSpark Bonus Day.
- The formula to determine matching funds is as follows: ($75,000/Total amount raised) x 100 = Matching Percentage.
- Final matching allocation will be determined by October 9, 2015 at 23:59:59 EDT. Before that date, the matching percentage displayed on the leaderboard is not confirmed.
- The YouthSpark Bonus Day Leaderboard will show the matching percentage throughout the day. The matching calculation will start updating once $7,500 has been raised and will re-calculate every 3 minutes. It will continue to update the matching percentage until 23:59:59 EDT on October 7, 2015.
- Matching funds for your project will not appear until 23:59:59 EDT on October 7, 2015.
- The campaign will run on GlobalGiving.co.uk and GlobalGiving.org with one consolidated leaderboard on GlobalGiving.org. For the purposes of calculating matching amounts, donations made in GBP will be converted to USD. Currency conversion will be calculated and set at the start of the YouthSpark Bonus day. Funds will be disbursed using the set exchange rate when the donation was made.
- Projects must be on GlobalGiving.org to participate in the campaign (i.e. projects cannot only be featured on GlobalGiving.co.uk)
- If your organization has a project or projects cross-posted on GlobalGiving.org and GlobalGiving.co.uk, funds raised on both sites will be eligible for the campaign.
- Only YouthSpark designated projects/microprojects will be matched. YouthSpark projects/microprojects on GlobalGiving.org are identified by a YouthSpark banner on the project’s/microproject’s project page. Eligible projects on GlobalGiving.co.uk will be identified with a YouthSpark Bonus Day banner at the start of the campaign.
- Projects/microprojects must maintain eligibility for YouthSpark until the campaign start, at 12:00:01 pm EDT on October 7, 2015.
- For eligible organizations, new YouthSpark projects can be submitted for approval September 14-18, 2015, only. Submissions before or after these dates will not be considered.
- To express interest in cross-posting your project on GlobalGiving.org you must submit your expression of interest form to GlobalGiving’s Partner Services Team by September 18, 2015.
- To express interest in cross-posting your project on GlobalGiving.co.uk you must submit your expression of interest form and application materials to the GlobalGiving UK Team by September 18, 2015.
- Only donations made by unique donors of up $1,000 per organization will be matched.
- Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including name, email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address. We are monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only unique, distinct donors are counted.
- Only online donations (credit card or PayPal) are eligible for matching funds on GlobalGiving.org. Only online donations (debit card, credit card, CAF Online or PayPal) are eligible for matching funds on globalgiving.co.uk.
- Online donations made using PayPal or credit card must be made by the PayPal account or credit card holder.
- Donations made on any GlobalGiving corporate or third-party sites using GlobalGiving’s API are not eligible for matching. Additionally, donations made by gift card, check, JustGiving, or text-to-give are not eligible for matching funds.
- All matching will be calculated in USD. Donations made in GBP will be converted to USD using the exchange rate set at the start of the day and disbursed by GlobalGiving Foundation as per GlobalGiving’s disbursement policy.
- Donations made on GlobalGiving.co.uk will be disbursed by GlobalGiving UK as per GlobalGiving UK’s disbursement policy. They will be collected from donors in GBP and sent in the disbursement currency requested.
- Please note that GlobalGiving will monitor and review all donations made through this matching offer.
- GlobalGiving will indicate in your organization’s donation manager which donations are eligible to be matched based on the time that the donation was made and the method of payment. This does not guarantee that a specific donation will be matched.
- Any donor who makes an eligible donation on YouthSpark Bonus Day will be able to see the matching funds for their donation on their GlobalGiving receipt page if he/she refreshes the receipt page after 60 seconds. This does not guarantee that a specific donation will be matched.
- Please note that Microsoft and GlobalGiving maintain the right to make a final decision on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds and reserve the right to adjust results if necessary.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
- GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit in the United States. Donations made on globalgiving.org can only be claimed as tax deductible contributions on United States tax returns.
- Fulfillment fee for donations: GlobalGiving charges a 15% fulfillment fee on donations but works to keep the fees you pay as low as possible while providing you great services and resources. During the October 7, 2015 YouthSpark Bonus Day, the fulfillment fee only applies to the donation. The fulfillment fee does not apply to the match. The fee covers all transactional charges such as credit card fees, as well as helps cover the costs we incur to promote organizations and projects, provide them with fundraising training and tools, and maintain and improve our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors. With our add-on option, we also offer the donor the opportunity to make an additional donation to cover the fee.
For more information, check out the recorded Final Microsoft YouthSpark Bonus Day webinar here: http://www.meetingburner.com/b/globalgiving/watch?c=SWOAK9&h=f
Have questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for UK specific queries.