On World Refugee Day, we focus on the millions of people around the world forced to flee their homes to seek refuge
According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, 65.6 million people have been forcibly displaced worldwide. These millions of children, women and men have been driven from their homes by conflict, violence, natural disasters, human rights violations, or persecution.
GlobalGiving partners with nonprofit organizations across the globe that provide life-saving assistance to those who brave perilous journeys in search of protection and humanitarian relief.
This World Refugee Day, Wednesday, June 20th, from 00:01 EDT to 23:59 EDT, GlobalGiving is putting up $100,000 in matching funds to help strengthen the great work its nonprofit partners do to bring much needed relief to displaced communities. Donations to participating projects on this day will be matched at 100% up to $2,500 and all will be eligible to win $2,000 in bonus prizes for breaking two all-time GlobalGiving records.
On June 20th, the GlobalGiving community aims to support the valiant efforts undertaken organizations dedicated to help meet the needs of those who have been forcibly uprooted within or across state borders.
If your GlobalGiving project works with refugees, submit this Expression of Interest form by June 5th. GlobalGiving will review submissions on a rolling basis and finalize the list of participating project by June 12th. Projects included in GlobalGiving’s Syrian Refugee Relief Fund or GlobalGiving’s Rohingya Refugee Relief Fund will be automatically included in the 2018 World Refugee Day Campaign.
For information on eligibility, prize breakdown, and more, please review the Terms + Conditions below and be sure to watch the GlobalGiving’s World Refugee Day Campaign webinar. You can also reach out to us directly with any questions you may have.
2018 World Refugee Day Campaign
Terms + Conditions
Dates and Eligibility:
- The World Refugee Day Campaign will be a 24-hour matching campaign on GlobalGiving from 00:00:01 ET to 23:59:59 ET on Wednesday, June 20th, 2018.
- Active Partner, Leader, and Superstar organizations on GlobalGiving with projects and microprojects supporting refugee relief efforts are eligible to participate in the World Refugee Day Campaign.
- Emerging organizations (Accelerator participants) are not eligible to participate in this campaign.
- Projects in GobalGiving’s Syrian Refugee Relief Fund or GlobalGiving’s Rohingya Refugee Relief Fund will be automatically included in World Refugee Day.
- Projects not in the above GlobalGiving funds are invited to submit an Expression of Interest form by June 5th. The GlobalGiving team will review submissions on a rolling basis. The earlier you submit, the earlier you’ll hear back. Submitting the Expression of Interest form does not guarantee any project a spot in the fund. GlobalGiving maintains ultimate discretion on project inclusion. The latest you’ll hear back from GlobalGiving on your project’s eligibility status is June 12th.
- GlobalGiving will accept projects for this campaign that work with refugee populations around the globe. For the purposes of this campaign we’re defining ‘refugee’ as: People around the world forced to leave their homes and seek refuge from conflict, violence, natural disasters, human rights violations, or persecution. Includes those refugees, asylum seekers and IDP (forcibly displaced within and across state border)
- Organizations can submit multiple eligible projects in this campaign.
- New projects must be created and approved in time to submit in the Expression of Interest form by June 5th.
- Project edits, project reports, and project appeals must be submitted by Thursday, June 14th, in order to be guaranteed approval by GlobalGiving staff in time for the World Refugee Day Campaign. Please plan ahead!
- Disbursement of funds raised and awarded in this campaign will be included in the usual monthly disbursement process.
One-time Matching Funds:
- There will be $100,000 in matching funds available on this day, applied at 100% on eligible donations up to $2,500 per unique donor per project while funds last during this campaign.
- GlobalGiving will match up to $20,000 per organization.
- Donations will be matched based on the order in which they are received.
- The World Refugee Day Campaign leaderboard will display the remaining matching funds. We encourage you to get donations in early because matching funds may run out quickly.
- For the purposes of calculating matching amounts, donations made in other currencies will be converted to USD. The exchange rate will be estimated at the time of the donation, but may be subject to change until the donation settles with the donor’s bank or credit card. Funds will be disbursed using the exchange rate based on the settlement value of each transaction.
- GlobalGiving reserves the right to make final decisions on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds.
- Only donations made by unique donors per project will be matched. Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including but not limited to name, email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address. We are monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only unique, distinct donors are counted.
Recurring Matching Funds:
- New recurring donations up to $200 per donor per project started during the campaign will get an additional 100% match on the initial donation as long as it remains active for a minimum of four total payments.
- The recurring match offer will last for the entire duration of the campaign.
- New recurring donations that come in while World Refugee Day matching funds still remain will be matched at 200% (an immediate 100% match, followed by a 100% match after four recurring payments). Donations that come in after the funds have run out will receive the 100% match after the fourth donation.
- Recurring donations made by project leaders or staff of the recipient project or organization are not eligible for the recurring match.
Projects participating in the World Refugee Day Campaign are eligible to compete for Records #1 & #2 in GlobalGiving’s Record Breaker Challenge.
Record #1: The current record for most dollars raised by a project in a single day campaign is $55,397. For this category, please note matching funds are excluded from the total amount a project raises.
Record #2: The current record for most donors organized by a project in a single day campaign is 411.
Beat either of these records to win a $1,000 prize.
Donation Methods & Eligibility:
- Only online donations made by credit card, debit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, or an official GlobalGiving gift card are eligible to receive matching funds.
- Online donations must be made by the account or credit card holder.
- Donation forms that are ineligible to receive matching funds during the 2018 World Refugee Day Campaign, include but are not limited to: Cash, check, text-to-give, CAF check, CAF online, wire transfers, gift aid, donations made by JustGiving, donations made on a GlobalGiving corporate or organizational giving site, or donations made directly to an organization rather than a project.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
- Any activity not in the spirit of requesting separate individuals to support donations is being moderated by GlobalGiving and GlobalGiving reserves the right to permanently disqualify organizations for any attempts of misconduct.
Tax-Efficient Giving & Fulfillment Fee:
- Tax Efficiency: GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit charity in the United States and England and Wales. Donations made by eligible donors in the United States can be claimed as tax deductible contributions on United States tax returns. Donations made by eligible donors in the United Kingdom can claim Gift Aid (an extra 25% added to eligible donations by the UK Government) when they donate in GBP.
- Fulfillment Fee: GlobalGiving charges a minimal nonprofit support fee plus a 3% processing fee. For US and UK registered organizations the nonprofit support fee is 5%; for organizations outside the US and UK, it is 7%. During the World Refugee Day Matching Campaign, the fee only applies to the initial donation and not to bonus prizes or matching funds earned. The fee helps cover the costs we incur to promote your organization and projects, to provide you with fundraising training and tools, and to maintain and improve our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors.