How is this possible?
In order to match every donation for 15 hours, GlobalGiving is hosting our first-ever Pro-Rated Bonus Day. There is $75,000 available in matching funds and matching percentage will be determined based on the total amount raised that day. So, the matching percentage will be calculated at 23:59:59 EDT using the following matching formula:
($75,000/Total amount raised) x 100 = Matching percentage
Here are some examples:
If the total amount raised is $150,000:
- On Bonus Day, you raise $5,000 for your project.
- The total amount raised on Bonus Day is $150,000.
- There are $75,000 in matching.
- Use our matching formula to calculate the matching percentage: ($75,000/$150,000) x 100 = 50%
- Your organization would receive: $5,000 x .5 = $2,500
If the total amount raised is $300,000:
- On Bonus Day, you raise $5,000 for your project
- The total amount raised on Bonus Day is $300,000.
- There are $75,000 in matching.
- Use our matching formula to calculate the matching percentage: ($75,000/$300,000) x 100 = 25%
- Your organization would receive: $5,000 x .25 = $1,250
Another one? Here’s a real life example from last May’s Bonus Day:
- In the May 2014 Bonus Day, Ishahayi Beach School Foundation raised $8,735
- The total raised on that Bonus Day was $190,640
- With $75,000 available in matching, here would be the matching funds for Ishahayi Beach School Foundation:
($75,000/$190,640) x 100 = 39.3%
- Ishahayi Beach School Foundation would receive: $8,735 x .393 = $3,432.86 in matching
Each donation you receive until midnight will be matched! This also means that your donors don’t have to give right away at 9 am EDT. Donors can give later in the day and still have their donations matched!
Why is GlobalGiving offering a Pro-Rated Bonus Day?
In 2014, you asked us to come up with a new Bonus Day structure that would prevent funds from running out early in the day. Organizations were hearing from their supporters, who were unhappy when they gave after limited matching funds were exhausted. So, we challenged our Leadership Council to propose alternative Bonus Day structures that would allow our limited matching funds to last longer. After considering several great proposals, the Pro-Rated Bonus Day was born! We are excited to experiment with this new structure and we hope to continue to improve and evolve GlobalGiving’s matching campaigns to help our partners achieve their fundraising goals.
Want some more information?
- We will be hosting a webinar on Wednesday, April 29th at 9am EDT and again at 3pm EDT. Register here for the 9am session and register here for the 3pm session.
- We also have one-on-one consultations available with our staff if you are interested in speaking with someone about your strategy. You can sign up for one here.
Terms & Conditions:
- Bonus Day begins at 09:00:00 EDT on May 13, 2015 and ends at 23:59:59 EDT on May 13, 2015.
- There is $75,000 in matching funds available.
- Online donations of up to $1,000 per individual donor per project are eligible to be matched.
- Matching will be determined on a pro-rated basis. The matching percentage will be based on the total amount raised on Bonus Day.
- Here is the formula to determine matching funds:
($75,000/Total amount raised) x 100 = Matching Percentage
- Final matching allocation will be determined by May 15th at 23:59:59 EDT. Before that date, matching funds and percentage displayed on the Leaderboard are not confirmed.
- The Bonus Day Leaderboard will show the matching percentage throughout the day. It will continue to update and change until 23:59:59 EDT on May 13th. Matching funds for your project will not appear until 23:59:59 EDT on May 13th.
- Projects must be approved and live on the globalgiving.org website by May 11, 2015 to be eligible.
- Only donations made by unique donors per project will be matched. Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including name, email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address. We are monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only unique, distinct donors are counted.
- Only online donations made by credit card, PayPal, or a GlobalGiving official gift card are eligible for matching. Donations made by check or text-to-give are not eligible.
- Donations made on globalgiving.co.uk or any GlobalGiving corporate sites including Benevity are not eligible for matching.
- GlobalGiving funds, such as the Ebola Fund and Girl Effect are not eligible for matching.
- Please note that GlobalGiving will monitor and review all donations made through this matching offer.
- Online donations made using PayPal or credit card must be made by the PayPal account or credit card holder.
- GlobalGiving will indicate in your donation manager which donations are eligible to be matched based on the time that the donation was made and the method of payment. This does not guarantee that a specific donation will be matched.
- Any donor who makes an eligible donation on Bonus Day will be able to see the matching funds for their donation on their GlobalGiving receipt page if they refresh the receipt page after 60 seconds. This does not guarantee that a specific donation will be matched.
- GlobalGiving maintains the right to make a final decision on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
- GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit in the United States. Donations made on globalgiving.org can only be claimed as tax deductible contributions on United States tax returns.
- Fulfillment fee for donations: GlobalGiving charges a 15% fulfillment fee on donations but works to keep the fees you pay as low as possible while providing you great services and resources. During the May 13, 2015 Bonus Day the fulfillment fee only applies to the initial donation. The fulfillment fee does not apply to the match. The fee covers all transactional charges such as credit card fees, as well as helps cover the costs we incur to promote organizations and projects, provide them with fundraising training and tools, and maintain and improve our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors. With our add-on option, we also offer the donor the opportunity to make an additional donation to cover the fee.
- As always, let us know if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org