Here at GlobalGiving, we helped hundreds of organizations raise more than $5.1 million in November and December of 2012! That’s a 13% increase from the previous year. Where did all those donations come from? Well, check out these exciting stats:
- More than 30,000 individuals made close to 40,000 donations in November and December.
- 41,000 gift cards were sold for a total of more than $1 million;
- Close to 5,000 donors made donations as gifts for more than $600,000;
- About $625,000 came through employee giving portals; and
- More than 700 people signed up for recurring donations for a total of more than $28,000 a month!
Why the spike in online giving?
In the U.S., all tax deductible donations to non-profits must be made before the end of the year (Dec. 31st) to be eligible for deduction from 2013 taxes. December is also the month of popular American holidays such as Christmas and Hanukkah.
Last year, Americans spent $249 billion on and off-line during the holiday shopping season; 2.5% more than the year before. And online sales continued to sky-rocket. Online shoppers spent 17% more on Cyber Monday (the largest online spending day in history!) in 2012 compared to the previous year.
What can we expect for 2013?
Year-end fundraising traditionally begins after Thanksgiving (November 28). This year is going to be different! There are only 3 ½ weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas (compared to 4 ½ last year). That means that fundraisers will be starting the holiday ask before Thanksgiving and pushing extra hard in the 3 ½ weeks before Christmas. Here are some important dates to keep in mind:
- November 28: Thanksgiving Day
- November 29: Black Friday, the largest in-store retail shopping day of the year
- December 2: Cyber Monday, the largest online shopping day of the year
- December 3: Giving Tuesday, a daylong effort in the U.S. to help charities raise money online during the holiday shopping season
- December 18 – 24: The week before Christmas, retailers saw a surge in spending at this time last year
- December 29, 30, 31: The biggest fundraising days of the year!
Simple Steps for Year-End Fundraising on GlobalGiving
You do not want to miss out on this fundraising action! Here are some simple steps that you can take to ensure you take advantage of year-end giving on GlobalGiving in 2013:
- Participate in one of our three holiday promotions: Gifts for Good, Year-End Campaign, and Recurring Donation Match. Join us for a one hour webinar on Thursday, October 17th to learn more about these exciting campaigns! Sign up here.
- Improve your project ranking. GlobalGiving ranks all GlobalGiving projects using four criteria—the amount of time since the last project report, the number of donors, total money raised, and proximity to fundraising goal. Read more about project ranking here. Attract holiday donors to your project by improving your project rank!
- Become a GlobalGiving Superstar. Increase your chances of being recommended to a GlobalGiving corporate partner this holiday season. Become a Superstar in our Partner Rewards Program. See your Partner Rewards Level in the upper right hand corner of your project entry dashboard on GlobalGiving!