In a world where video is all the rage, the GlobalGiving team is eager to see your most recent productions! There’s just no match for the power that video has to build quick intrigue, trust, and connection. The medium has recently been described by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg as a “megatrend, almost as big as mobile.”
What we’ve been most excited to watch here at GlobalGiving is the ever-lowering barriers for creating quality video content. It has never been easier or cheaper for nonprofits to captivate audiences with bold visual storytelling. That makes us more excited than ever to watch your submissions!
This year, the Top 10 videos will win GlobalGiving social media promotion and get featured in a GlobalGiving Learn article. Last year’s winner feature was one of GlobalGiving’s highest viewed pieces of content, proving the irresistible nature of visual content.
The top grand prize winning video will also receive a solo feature in a GlobalGiving’s newsletter which gets sent to tens of thousands of engaged donors from around the world. In previous years, this feature has raised the winning project anywhere from $2,000 to $13,000.
Since it’s getting harder and harder to distinguish between amateurs and professionals in the world of video, this year we’re asking YOU to reveal how your video came about. That’s because we’re offering additional promotion + learning opportunities to videos created by our many impressive non-professional videographers out there!
What are you waiting for? Submit your video entry before the Friday, February 23rd deadline and read the full Terms + Conditions below!
Looking for quick tips? We recommend that you:
- Explore the movie-making power of the iPhone
- Learn how to make videos on the cheap
- Share a story that is unique to your organization.
- Let that story revolve around your donors and/or the community you serve (not your organization itself)
- Capture honest moments.
- Try using subtitles
- Aim for one to two minute videos for web content
- Take donors behind the scenes
- Have a clear call to action
- Take a peek at the 2017 Contest Winners!
2018 Video Contest Terms + Conditions
- All GlobalGiving Partners, Leaders, and Superstars are eligible to enter the 2018 Video Contest.
- Videos must be fully submitted by 23:59:59 EST Friday, February 23rd.
- Each organization is limited to one video entry.
- The Top 10 videos will win GlobalGiving social media promotion and all be featured in a donor-facing Learn article. The grand prize winner will be featured in GlobalGiving’s monthly newsletter which has more than 200,000 subscribers.
- Videos entries will be self-categorized under three categories in the Video Contest Entry Form: 1) Professional Producers; 2) Film Fanatics; and 3) Enthusiastic Amateurs. The latter two categories will be considered for additional promotion + learning opportunities. Entries in all categories will compete for a spot in the Top 10.
- Every participant benefits by receiving one GG Rewards point for entering the contest.
- A complete entry requires these three steps to be completed by the deadline:
- Upload your video entry to YouTube
- Include that video on your GlobalGiving project page (enter the direct YouTube link in the “Project Video” section of the “Photos & Documents” tab). Videos must be uploaded to project pages by February 21st.
- Submit the Video Contest Entry Form by Friday, February 23rd
- Video Eligibility:
- Videos must be between 00:30 seconds and three minutes in length. Submissions that are longer or shorter will not be considered.
- Video content must be consistent with the content on the project page it’s paired with, and the status of that project must be ‘active.’
- Videos may not contain copyrighted elements including but not limited to music, videos, and photographs. Project Leaders must obtain all necessary legal rights for submitted video content.
- All video participants must give informed consent of their participation in order to take part in the filming of your video.
- Videos may not contain vulgar language or inappropriate content. GlobalGiving reserves the right to determine inappropriate content and disqualify a video.
- There will be two rounds of judging. The first round will be completed by GlobalGiving program staff and the final round will be complete by Project Leader Piper Hendricks of p.h. Balanced Films. (Meet Piper in GlobalGiving’s Peer Learning Network session from January on digital storytelling!)
- The Top 10 winners and the grand prize winner will be announced in mid-March.
GlobalGiving has the right and licence to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works of, distribute, transmit, and display its trademarks and graphic media in connection with the services and operations of GlobalGiving.