Today, the UN estimates 11 million Syrians are displaced both inside and outside of their home country. This makes Syrians the largest refugee population in the world, and there are tragically no signs of this civil war slowing down.
GlobalGiving is steadfast in its commitment to support our nonprofit partners in providing urgent humanitarian assistance to the men, women, and children of Syria, whether they remain in the country or have escaped across borders.
That is why for World Refugee Day on Tuesday, June 20th, from 9:00am EDT to 11:59pm EDT, GlobalGiving is putting up $50,000 in matching funds and $4,000 in bonus prizes for our nonprofit partners playing a critical role in the Syrian refugee relief efforts.
If your organization works with the Syrian Refugee population, we know you’re facing immense challenges. Our hope is that the additional support from the GlobalGiving community on World Refugee Day will boost your team’s capacity and give comfort to those most in need.
Now is the perfect time to start communicating this opportunity to your donors. Let them know how they can get their entire donation matched (up to $2,500 per donor per project) and help your organization win bonus prize money on World Refugee Day.
For information on eligibility, prize breakdown, and more, please review the Terms + Conditions below and be sure to register to attend GlobalGiving’s World Refugee Day Campaign webinar on Wednesday, May 31st, at 10:00am EDT. You can also reach out to us directly with any questions you may have.
We thank you for the life-saving work you do.
2017 World Refugee Day Campaign
Terms + Conditions
Dates and Eligibility:
- The World Refugee Day Campaign on GlobalGiving begins at 9:00:01 EDT on Tuesday, June 20th, 2017, and ends at 23:59:59 EDT on June 20th, 2017.
- Active Partner, Leader, and Superstar organizations on GlobalGiving with projects supporting Syrian refugee relief efforts are eligible to participate in the World Refugee Day Campaign.
- Emerging organizations (Accelerator participants) are not eligible to participate in this campaign.
- Eligible projects must be supporting Syrian refugee relief efforts and one of the three thematic project tags must be “Disaster Recovery.”
- Organizations can have multiple eligible projects in this campaign.
- New projects and/or project edits must be submitted s by Thursday, June 15th, in order to be approved in time for inclusion in the World Refugee Day Campaign.
- Project appeals and/or project reports that contain World Refugee Day Campaign information must be submitted to GlobalGiving by Thursday, June 15th, in order to be approved in time to be sent out before or during World Refugee Day.
One-time Matching Funds:
- There will be $50,000 in matching funds available on this day, applied at 100% on eligible donations up to $2,500 per unique donor per project while funds last during this campaign.
- GlobalGiving will match up to $20,000 per organization.
- Donations will be matched based on the order in which they are received.
- The World Refugee Day Campaign leaderboard will display the remaining matching funds. We encourage you to get donations in early because matching funds may run out quickly.
- For the purposes of calculating matching amounts, donations made in other currencies will be converted to USD. The exchange rate will be estimated at the time of the donation, but may be subject to change until the donation settles with the donor’s bank or credit card. Funds will be disbursed using the exchange rate based on the settlement value of each transaction.
- GlobalGiving reserves the right to make final decisions on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds.
Recurring Matching Funds:
- New recurring donations up to $200 per donor per project will have their initial donation matched at 200%.
- Recurring donations started during the World Refugee Day Campaign will get an immediate 100% one-time match while funds remain. If the recurring donation remains active for three months, an additional 100% match will be made to the project.
- Once World Refugee Day Campaign matching funds have been exhausted, any new recurring donations will still be eligible for the 200% matching offer, but the matching funds will only be applied to recurring donations once they have completed three automatic payments.
- To put it simply, while World Refugee Day Campaign matching funds remain, new recurring donations get the 100% one-time match right away and your project will retain this match even if the recurring donation is cancelled. If the recurring donations remains active, it will be eligible for an additional 100% match which will be made upon the third automatic donation, bringing the total up to 200% matching.
- At the end of the campaign, the three projects with the most funds raised will receive bonus prizes of $1,000, $600, and $400. In the event that there is a tie for one of the top funds raised prizes, the project with the most unique donors during the campaign will get priority.
- At the end of the campaign, the three projects with the most unique donors will be awarded bonus prizes of $1,000, $600, and $400. In the event that there is a tie for the most unique donors, the project with the most funds raised during the campaign will get priority.
- Only projects raising more than $2,000 from at least 10 donors (excluding matching funds) during the campaign will be eligible for bonus prizes.
- To maximize your chance of wining a bonus prize, we recommend organizations pick one project to promote during the campaign.
- Organizations can only win one bonus prize per category.
Donation Methods & Eligibility:
- Donation eligibility: Only online donations made by credit card, debit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, or an official GlobalGiving gift card are eligible to receive matching funds. Online donations must be made by the account or credit card holder.
- Donation forms that are ineligible to receive matching funds during the 2017 World Refugee Day Campaign, include but are not limited to: Cash, check, text-to-give, CAF check, CAF online, wire transfers, donations made by JustGiving, donations made on a GlobalGiving corporate or organizational giving site, or donations made directly to an organization rather than a project.
- The exchange rate will be estimated at the time of the donation, but may be subject to change until the donation settles with the donor’s bank or credit card. Funds will be disbursed using the exchange rate based on the settlement value of each transaction.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
- Both donations and matching funds will be disbursed in the usual monthly cycle.
Tax-Efficient Giving & Fulfillment Fee:
- Tax Efficiency: GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit charity in the United States and England and Wales. Donations made by eligible donors in the United States can be claimed as tax deductible contributions on United States tax returns. Donations made by eligible donors in the United Kingdom can claim Gift Aid (an extra 25% added to eligible donations by the UK Government) when they donate in GBP.
Fulfillment Fee: GlobalGiving charges a 15% fee on donations (unless other promotions apply), but works to keep the fees you pay as low as possible while providing you great services and resources. During the June 20th World Refugee Day Campaign the fulfilment fee only applies to the initial donation. The fulfillment fee does not apply to the match. The fee helps cover the costs we incur to promote your organization and projects, provides you with fundraising training and tools, and maintains and improves our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors. With our add-on option, we we also offer the donor the opportunity to make an additional donation to cover the fee so that you receive the intended amount.