Two years ago, on April 25, 2015 a 7.8 magnitude earthquake violently shook Nepal just outside the capital of Kathmandu and sent devastating shocks through surrounding areas. Local GlobalGiving nonprofit partners and aid organizations immediately stepped up to start the recovery process to rebuild and repair lives in Nepal. The long-term relief process is still ongoing and vitally important.
On the two-year anniversary of the earthquake, in honor of the lives impacted by the destruction and GlobalGiving’s nonprofit partners dedicated to the relief effort, GlobalGiving is matching donations at 50% starting 09:00 a.m. EDT on April 25, 2017 (18:45 p.m. NPT on April 25, 2017) until 23:59:59 p.m. EST on December 31, 2017 – while funds last. Also, for the first 24 hours of the campaign, organizations are competing for $3,000 in cash bonus prizes! The bonus prizes will award most donors and most funds raised. Donations will be matched up to $1,000 USD per donor, and each organization participating is eligible to receive up to $20,000 USD in matching funds.
In order to participate your organization must be a Partner, Leader, or Superstar, have a project that is related to the Nepal recovery efforts, and is tagged with the theme of “Disaster Recovery” and country of “Nepal.” If you are posting a new project please be sure you submit it by April 19, 2017 with all of the appropriate tags.
We are so thrilled to be partnering with you in your work. Thank you for all your commitment to Nepal. If you have any questions about the upcoming matching campaign please email email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions
- GlobalGiving’s Nepal Earthquake Two-Year Anniversary matching campaign begins at 09:00 a.m. EDT on April 25, 2017 (18:45 p.m. NPT on April 25, 2017) and ends at 23:59:59 p.m. EST on December 31,2017 or when funds run out, whichever comes first.
- From 09:00 a.m. EDT on April 25, 2017 (18:45 p.m. NPT on April 25, 2017) to 09:00 a.m. EDT on April 26, 2017 (18:45 p.m. NPT on April 26, 2017), projects will be competing for cash bonus prizes.
- The project with the most funds raised on Bonus Day will receive an additional $1,000 USD.
- The project with the second most funds raised on Bonus Day will receive an additional $500 USD.
- The project with the most unique donors on Bonus Day will receive an additional $1,000 USD.
- The project with the second most unique donors on Bonus Day will receive an additional $500 USD.
- For projects that tie for most funds raised, the number of donors will be used to determine the winner. For projects that tie for most donors, the amount of funds raised will be used to determine the winner.
- Active Partner, Leader, and Superstar organizations on GlobalGiving.org are eligible to participate in the Nepal Two-Year Anniversary campaign.
- Emerging organizations (Accelerator participants) are not eligible to participate in this campaign.
- Projects must be supporting relief, recovery, and/or rebuilding efforts from the April 25, 2015 earthquake in Nepal.
- Projects must be tagged “Disaster Recovery.”
- All new projects must be submitted by April 19, 2017, in order to be approved in time for inclusion in the campaign.
- Project and report approvals will take up to 1-3 business days to process. Projects and reports submitted to GlobalGiving by April 19, 2017 will be processed in advance of the start of the campaign.
- There is $50,000 USD in matching funds available.
- GlobalGiving.org will be matching donations up to $1,000 USD at 50% (approximately £800 GBP; exact exchange rate to be set based on the settlement value of each transaction) per individual donor per organization, while funds last. For example: a donation of $1,000 USD will receive a $500 USD match.
- Organizations can receive up to $20,000 USD in matching funds.
- For the purposes of calculating matching amounts, donations made in other currencies will be converted to USD. The exchange rate will be estimated at the time of the donation, but may be subject to change until the donation settles with the donor’s bank or credit card. Funds will be disbursed using the exchange rate based on the settlement value of each transaction.
- Only donations up to $1,000 USD total (approximately £800 GBP; exact exchange rate to be set based on the settlement value of each transaction) per unique donor per organization will be matched. Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including name, email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address. We are monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only unique, distinct donors are counted.
- Only online donations made by credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, or a GlobalGiving official gift card are eligible for matching. Donations made by text-to-give or check are not eligible.
- Online donations made using PayPal, Apple Pay, or credit card must be made by the account or credit card holder.
- Donations made on GlobalGiving corporate sites, organizational giving sites, or through whitelabel are not eligible for matching.
- We encourage you to get donations in early because matching funds will likely run out quickly.
- Please note that GlobalGiving will monitor and review all donations made through this matching offer.
- GlobalGiving maintains the right to make a final decision on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds.
- Donations will disbursed monthly as they come in. Matching funds will be disbursed in one lump sum at the end of the campaign. Matching funds on recurring donations will be disbursed on the third automatic recurring donation.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
Tax Efficient Giving & Fulfillment Fee
- GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit charity in the United States and England and Wales. Donations made in USD by eligible donors in the United States can be claimed as tax deductible contributions on United States tax returns. Donations made in GBP by eligible donors in the United Kingdom can claim Gift Aid (an extra 25% added to eligible donations by the UK Government) when they donate in GBP.
- Fulfillment fee for donations: GlobalGiving charges a 15% fulfillment fee on donations, unless other conditions apply. GlobalGiving works to keep the fees you pay as low as possible while providing you great services and resources. The fulfillment fee does not apply to the match. The fee covers all transactional charges such as credit card fees, as well as helps cover the costs we incur to promote organizations and projects, provide them with fundraising training and tools, and maintain and improve our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors. With our add-on option, we also offer the donor the opportunity to make an additional donation to cover the fee.
Still have questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we are happy to help!