In April 2016, a series of earthquakes, including one of 7.0 magnitude, struck Kumamoto, Japan causing landslides and catastrophe. Thousands were injured and numerous buildings were destroyed. GlobalGiving partners were there to respond immediately providing water, first aid, and rescue to survivors. Donors on GlobalGiving jumped in to support our partners’ efforts. To date, more than 2,000 donors from around the world have come together to support the ongoing recovery efforts in Kumamoto.
Our partners have continued to stick by Kumamoto citizens providing long-term recovery and rebuilding efforts. To support these long-term earthquake recovery projects, GlobalGiving will be matching donations 100% in honor of the one-year anniversary. The 100% match opportunity begins on April 13, 2017 at 11:00:00 a.m. EDT. The campaign will end at 23:59:59 p.m. EST on December 31,2017 or when funds run out, whichever comes first.
If your organization is running a program that supports rebuilding or recovery after the Kumamoto earthquake in April 2016, please post a new project or make sure an existing project is tagged for “disaster recovery”, country is tagged for Japan, and the project lists this earthquake in the description by April 7th.
Thank you for your work and sticking by communities for the long-haul.
GlobalGiving’s Kumamoto Earthquake One-Year Anniversary Matching Campaign
Terms + Conditions
- GlobalGiving’s Kumamoto Earthquake One-Year Anniversary matching campaign begins at 11:00:00 a.m. EDT on April 13, 2017 (00:00 a.m. JST on April 14, 2017)
- The campaign will end at 23:59:59 p.m. EST on December 31,2017 or when funds run out, whichever comes first.
- There is $50,000 USD in matching funds available.
- GlobalGiving.org will be matching donations at 100%, up to $2,500 USD (approximately £2,000 GBP; exact exchange rate to be set based on the settlement value of each transaction) per individual donor per organization, while funds last. For example: a donation of $3,000 USD will receive a $2,500 USD match.
- For the purposes of calculating matching amounts, donations made in other currencies will be converted to USD. The exchange rate will be estimated at the time of the donation, but may be subject to change until the donation settles with the donor’s bank or credit card. Funds will be disbursed using the exchange rate based on the settlement value of each transaction.
- Active partner, leader, and superstar organizations on GlobalGiving.org are eligible to participate in the Kumamoto Earthquake 1 Year Anniversary campaign.
- Emerging organizations (Accelerator participants) are not eligible to participate in this campaign.
- Projects must be supporting relief, recovery and/or rebuilding efforts from the April 2016 earthquake in Kumamoto.
- Projects must be tagged “Disaster Recovery.”
- All new projects must be submitted by April 7, 2017 in order to be approved in time for inclusion in the campaign.
- Project and report approvals will take up to 1-3 business days to process. Projects and reports submitted to GlobalGiving by April 7, 2017 will be processed in advance of the start of the campaign.
- Only donations up to $2,500 USD (approximately £2,000 GBP; exact exchange rate to be set based on the settlement value of each transaction) per unique donor per organization will be matched. Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including name, email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address. We are monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only unique, distinct donors are counted.
- Only online donations made by credit card, PayPal, Apple Pay, a GlobalGiving official gift card, or check are eligible for matching. Donations made by text-to-give are not eligible.
- Online donations made using PayPal, Apple Pay, or credit card must be made by the account or credit card holder.
- Donations made via check must be received and entered into the campaign by GlobalGiving by two days before the campaign end date (when matching funds run out) to be eligible. Please monitor the leaderboard for the status of matching funds. Checks must include the project ID number of the project participating in the campaign to be eligible. Checks may take a week to be entered into our system. Please take this timing into account when communicating to donors.
- Donations made on GlobalGiving corporate sites, organizational giving sites, or through whitelabel are not eligible for matching.
- We encourage you to get donations in early because matching funds will likely run out quickly.
- Please note that GlobalGiving will monitor and review all donations made through this matching offer.
- GlobalGiving maintains the right to make a final decision on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds.
- Donations will disbursed monthly as they come in. Matching funds will be disbursed in one lump sum at the end of the campaign. Matching funds on recurring donations will be disbursed on the third automatic recurring donation.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
Tax Efficient Giving & Fulfillment Fee
- GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit charity in the United States and England and Wales. Donations made in USD by eligible donors in the United States can be claimed as tax deductible contributions on United States tax returns. Donations made in GBP by eligible donors in the United Kingdom can claim Gift Aid (an extra 25% added to eligible donations by the UK Government) when they donate in GBP.
- Fulfillment fee for donations: GlobalGiving charges a 15% fulfillment fee on donations, unless other conditions apply. GlobalGiving works to keep the fees you pay as low as possible while providing you great services and resources. The fulfillment fee does not apply to the match. The fee covers all transactional charges such as credit card fees, as well as helps cover the costs we incur to promote organizations and projects, provide them with fundraising training and tools, and maintain and improve our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors. With our add-on option, we also offer the donor the opportunity to make an additional donation to cover the fee.
Still have questions? Please email us at email@example.com. We are happy to help!