On November 8, 2013, Typhoon Haiyan (known locally as Yolanda) caused catastrophic damage and devastated many lives, affecting more than 12 million people. On the first anniversary of the Typhoon, GlobalGiving offered a 100% match for all donations to projects promoting long-term recovery in the Philippines. Partners like you raised more than $100,000 from more than 400 donors!
We would like to announce the 2nd anniversary matching campaign to support your recovery and rebuilding efforts from the typhoon, because as we know, disasters don’t end when the news stops. Mark your calendars and notify your donors: the 100% match campaign starts on globalgiving.org and globagiving.co.uk on November 5th at 20:00:01 ET, and it will last until funds run out. Find out what time it starts where you are here.
Here are the criteria for a donation to get matched (see full terms and conditions below):
- Projects must be Typhoon Haiyan relief and/or rebuilding focused, based in the Philippines.
- On November 3, 2015, check the leaderboard on globalgiving.org and/or globalgiving.co.uk to make sure your project is on it. If not, please notify our team at email@example.com.
- Only donations made online are eligible for matching. This includes donations made by credit/debit card, PayPal, and GlobalGiving gift card. For donations through globalgiving.co.uk, CAF online donations will also be eligible.
- Donations up to $1,000 per donor per organization will be matched while funds last on GlobalGiving.org. Donations up to £600 per donor per organization on globalgiving.co.uk will be matched while funds last.
- If matching funds run out, donations will no longer be matched. Please note that matching funds on GlobalGiving.org and GlobalGiving.co.uk can run out at different times. You should check each leaderboard to view the available matching.
- Donations on corporate platforms, on JustGiving, or donations by check will not be matched on either platform.
Here are the key differences to note:
A few fundraising tips from the webinar in case you missed it:
1. Plan for the fundraising campaign and make strategic decisions. Set overall day-of goals, goals for your segmented networks, and steps to achieving your goals.
2. Communicate with your donors ahead of time about the campaign. Send your donors to your project page at 20:00:01 ET on November 5, 2015. Make sure to emphasize the urgency to give so donors can get matched 100% before funds run out.
3. Drive home two key points:
a. Typhoon Haiyan may be out of the headlines, but the need for long-term relief and recovery is as strong as ever.
b. Supporting organizations with strong local ties is key to a successful recovery and creating resilient response to future potential disasters.
4. Direct the rider, motivate the elephant, and shape the path. What does that mean? First, direct the rider by giving clear instructions about where, when, and how to give. Connect with the emotional side of your donor, or “motivating the elephant,” by explaining why it’s important to give and how the 100% matched donation will impact your programs. Finally, make it easy for them to give, or “shape the path.” Reduce any confusion or potential obstacles to giving. This could mean adding donation widgets to your website, emails, and social media. Provide easy steps to making the contribution. Make it easy and available to give the day of the campaign.
5. Create a communications strategy and communication templates for before, during, and after the campaign.
6. Example social media posts before the campaign begins:
Twitter: 2 yrs ago #TyphoonHaiyan devastated the #Philippines. Donate 8PMET Nov5 for 100% match to continue rebuilding: [your project page URL] [photo of your project’s work]
Facebook: Typhoon Haiyan may be out of the headlines, but the need for long-term relief and recovery is as strong as ever. Donate 8PMET Nov5 for 100% match to continue rebuilding: [your project page URL] [photo of your project’s work]
7. Have a successful fundraising campaign!
Full terms & conditions for GlobalGiving.org
- The Haiyan Matching Campaign begins at 20:00:01 EST November 5, 2015 (09:00:01 PHT November 6, 2015) and ends when the matching funds run out or 00:00:01 November 5, 2016.
- There is $75,000 in matching funds on GlobalGiving.
- Matching is applied at 100% up to $1,000 per donor per organization during the campaign on GlobalGiving.
- Only organizations that are working on recovery or rebuilding efforts related to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines are eligible for these matching funds.
- Projects that are located in the Philippines, but not working on Haiyan relief- and recovery-related issues, are not eligible for this matching campaign.
- Projects must be approved and live on the globalgiving.org website by November 3, 2015 to be eligible.
- Only donations made by unique donors per project will be matched. Unique donors are determined using numerous criteria, including name, email address, credit card number, mailing address, and IP address.
- We are monitoring these and other parameters in our system to ensure that only unique, distinct donors are counted.
- Only online donations made by credit card, PayPal, or a GlobalGiving official gift card are eligible for matching. Donations made by check or text-to-give are not eligible.
- Online donations made using PayPal or credit card must be made by the credit card holder or PayPal account holder.
- We encourage you to get donations in early because matching funds may run out quickly.
- Please note that GlobalGiving will monitor and review all donations made through this matching offer.
- GlobalGiving maintains the right to make a final decision on all matters concerning the allocation of matching funds.
- Matching will be disbursed at the end of the campaign.
- Please note that all donations are final. GlobalGiving cannot change the time, date, or status of a donation after it is processed for any reason.
- GlobalGiving is a registered nonprofit in the United States. Donations made on globalgiving.org can only be claimed as a tax deductible contribution on United States tax returns.
- GlobalGiving charges a 15% fulfillment fee on donations but works to keep the fees you pay as low as possible while providing you great services and resources. During the Haiyan Matching Campaign the fulfillment fee only applies to the initial donation. The fulfillment fee does not apply to the match. The fee covers all transactional charges such as credit card fees, as well as helps cover the costs we incur to promote organizations and projects, provide them with fundraising training and tools, and maintain and improve our online technology in order to keep you connecting with new donors. With our add-on option, we also offer the donor the opportunity to make an additional donation to cover the fee.
- GlobalGiving reserves the right to approve all projects included in the campaign ahead of time.
- Only donations made at www.globalgiving.org are eligible for this matching, while funds remain. Donations made on any GlobalGiving corporate sites (including Nike, Eli Lilly, Global Action Atlas, etc) are NOT eligible for matching. Match funding available on GlobalGiving UK will be used up separately to
GlobalGiving, so check GlobalGiving UK’s leaderboard if you would like to make a matched donation through GlobalGiving UK’s site.
PLEASE NOTE – Haiyan Matching Campaign is running concurrently on GlobalGiving US and GlobalGiving UK. The UK & US campaigns are managed separately. Match funding available in each campaign, and the Terms and Conditions and web link to donate in UK or US differ. There is $75,000 available in matching on GlobalGiving and £10,000 matching available on GlobalGiving UK. Please also refer to the Haiyan Matching Terms and Conditions on GlobalGiving UK for that campaign – terms are different to these globalgiving.org terms. Please monitor each site separately to determine whether matching funds are remaining.
GlobalGiving stands by our partners at a minimum of 5 years after a major disaster – together with you, we are letting the Filipino communities know they are not alone. Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org or the GlobalGiving UK team at email@example.com.