There are two weeks left in 2014 and there is still time to make it count for your organization! In fact, these last two weeks may be the most important time for your organization’s fundraising because 10% of all online donations made in the U.S. happen on the last three days of the year. GlobalGiving hosted a webinar on Wednesday, December 18th to discuss last-minute fundraising tips. You can view a recording of the webinar here.
Here are some important events leading up to the new year:
- December 18 – 24: The week before Christmas when retailers traditionally see a surge in sales
- December 16 – 24: Hanukkah
- December 25: Christmas Day
- December 29, 30, 31: Last chance for tax-deductible donations for U.S. donors and the biggest fundraising days of the year
Make sure that you know your audience! Do your donors celebrate Christmas? Hanukkah? This period can be the most valuable time for your organization if you can connect with your audience well.
GlobalGiving is a big advocate of multi-channel communication:
- Email is still the single largest drive of online giving at 33%
- Build excitement on social media by:
- Sharing your goals
- Keeping donors updated on your progress
- Inviting donors to comment and share
- Phone calls to your key donors
- Get out into the community! Have lunch of coffee with your board members, volunteers, and major donors.
The key here is to be strategic with your year-end communications and use your organization’s resources wisely. Share specific goals with your donors to help them to understand the impact that their donation will make. For example, you could share a story about a particular individual benefiting from your project and remind donors that he/she will need their continued support into 2015!
Your challenge this December is to capture your supporters’ attention with concise (no more than three short paragraphs!), creative, and unique emails.
We know from experience that the typical donor requires multiple appeals before donating, so a single email might not be enough. However, donors will probably see a high number of email donation appeals flooding their inboxes in December from a wide variety of organizations.
Here are some tips to help you make your emails stand out:
- Capture donors’ attention using compelling subject lines; and a
- Clear and concise call to action.
- Convey the impact that a donation would make with a compelling story and photo.
- Include a direct link to your GlobalGiving project page.
- Get personal–make sure to address each donor by name. Include a special, personalized note for major supporters.
Here is a great example from Charity: Water!
Another way to set your organization apart from the competition is by articulating value or an added incentive to give your your organization.
Here are some added incentives for giving on GlobalGiving this December:
- Is your project participating in the Year-End Campaign? A donation to your project could help you win up to $3,000 in additional funding from GlobalGiving!
- Donations made using GlobalGiving’s tribute card feature allow donors to make a donation to your project as a gift this holiday season. Gift recipients will receive a customized card from GlobalGiving. Learn more about the tribute card feature here.
In addition, GlobalGiving is offering a 15-day recurring donation matching opportunity through December 31! Learn more about recurring donations on GlobalGiving here.
Here are the details:
- December 17 – 31
- One time 100% match on all new recurring donations
- Recurring donations must last for at least four consecutive months to qualify
- New recurring donations count towards the Year-end Campaign
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Finally, don’t forget the importance of thanking your supporters as you build your donor base for 2015! You can also appeal to your donors to get involved with your organization in other ways and encourage them to sign up for your own newsletter. Read tips for drafting an effective thank you email here.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Happy Holidays from the GlobalGiving team!