In the U.S., Black Friday and Cyber Monday traditionally kick off the holiday shopping season where retailers earn the more money than any quarter in the year. Launched in 2012, #GivingTuesday is a day-long campaign that aims to capture this spirit of generosity to help drive donations and volunteer hours during the holiday season!
#GivingTuesday falls on December 2nd this year and it is a call to action to find creative ways for your family, community, company or organization to give! Donations on #GivingTuesday grew 90% from 2012 to 2013. More than 10,000 nonprofits, companies, celebrities are already onboard in 2014. This movement has even gone global, with sister movements in 40 countries and regions, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United Kingdom, Latin America and Singapore!
In the lead up to #GivingTuesday this year, GlobalGiving hosted a webinar featuring some very special guests – Melissa Cronin and Kait Sheridan from 92Y, one of the creators of #GivingTuesday here in the U.S., and Patricio Boyd from OurMark, from the #UnDiaParaDar movement in Latin America! Watch the webinar recording here.
Melissa shared 3 things that an organization can do to make the most of #GivingTuesday:
- Try something new! The most creative fundraising campaigns are usually the most successful.
- Engage your existing supporters. Make them a part of your project.
- And design a campaign that helps you reach out to new supporters!
Patricio shared insights into the effort to spread #GivingTuesday concept to Latin America with #undiaparadar (one day to give) and the movement’s efforts to elevate the culture of giving in Latin America:
- Make the most of corporate partner matching funds! Donors like when their donation goes further.
- It not all about the money. Blood donation drives, food and clothing drives are also an effective way of giving.
- Engage more volunteers. A volunteer today could become a donor tomorrow!
More information about #GivingTuesday and fundraising toolkits to get you started can be found on here and upcoming webinars can be found here. If you have any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizations in Latin America are encouraged to check out #undiaparadar’s website and to get involved in this regional movement.
Finally, stay tuned for upcoming announcements about GlobalGiving’s Year-End campaigns and how your organization can participate!
So save the date – December 2nd is #GivingTuesday 2014!
This post was written by Lucius Lee, Program Team Intern.