Have you had a chance to look at a calendar recently? October is just around the corner and here at GlobalGiving, we’re getting pumped. Because this time of year means one thing: year-end fundraising, baby! Why the excitement? Well, last year, GlobalGiving helped more than 1,500 organizations raise more than $7.1 million in November and December. That’s more than 32% of GlobalGiving’s total donation volume for the year!
And we’re not alone. According to Blackbaud’s Charitable Giving Report, the average organization raises 35% of their annual income in October, November, and December and industry-wide, almost 20% of online giving happens in the month of December.
Year-end giving through GlobalGiving’s website grew 39% between 2012 and 2013! Take a look at these stats to learn more about year-end giving on GlobalGiving:
- More than 800,000 people visited GlobalGiving.org in November and December last year!
- Of those visitors, 31,000 made close to 40,000 donations in November and December.
- 81,000 gift cards were sold (two times what was sold last year!) for a several million dollars;
- More than $1.4 million was raised through corporate cause marketing campaigns; and
- About $785,000 came through employee giving portals.
- More than $620,000 in donations were made as gifts using GlobalGiving’s tribute card feature; and
- Almost 700 people signed up for recurring donations for a total of more than $29,000 a month!
What to expect in 2014
See? This year-end fundraising thing is a pretty big deal! So what do you need to do to get ready? Here are some important trends to make the most of this year.
1. Take advantage of important dates. It’s no coincidence that November and December are the biggest giving months of the year. In the U.S., all tax deductible donations to non-profits must be made before the end of the year (Dec. 31st) to be eligible for deduction from 2014 taxes.
December is also the month of popular American holidays such as Christmas and Hanukkah. Last year, Americans spent $600 billion on and off-line during the holiday shopping season; 3.8% more than the year before. And online sales continued to sky-rocket. Online shoppers spent 20% more on Cyber Monday (the largest online spending day in history!) in 2013 compared to the previous year.
Take advantage of these important dates:
- November 27: Thanksgiving Day
- November 28: Black Friday
- December 1: Cyber Monday
- December 2: #GivingTuesday, a daylong effort in the U.S. to help charities raise money online during the holiday shopping season (Giving was up 90% from 2012!)
- December 18 – 24: The week before Christmas (retailers traditionally see a surge in sales during this time)
- December 29, 30, 31: The biggest fundraising days of the year!
2. Remember, you aren’t the only one asking your supporters. According to Google, 47% of donors visited multiple nonprofit websites before making their year-end giving decisions. So start now! The same study found that donation-related searches increased 30% in August and September. This fall, make sure you are taking steps to stand out.
3. Develop a bullet-proof communications plan and a compelling story. It is important to create a multi-channel strategy that incorporates social media and your organization’s website but keep in mind that email is still the number one driver of online donations, generating 35% of gifts. And 81% of donors say impact was the biggest consideration when making a donation. Your year-end communications plan should feature compelling photos and stories that convey your organization’s impact.
4. Make data driven decisions. Earlier this year, GlobalGiving rolled out our Analytics Dashboard, a feature that allows you to keep track of the number of people who visit your project pages, open your reports, and donate to your cause. Use this and other data to make smart decisions about your year-end strategy.
GlobalGiving has got your back this holiday season!
- Create a solid year-end fundraising strategy. Join us for these upcoming training opportunities.
Developing a Solid Year-End Fundraising Strategy
Date: Wednesday, October 22
Times: 9 am EDT (Find this time in your city) and 3 pm EDT (Find this time in your city)
Webinar link: anymeeting.com/globalgivingus1
Sign up here.
- Capitalize on fundraising tools. GlobalGiving’s tribute card feature allows donors to make a donation to your project as a gift for someone special this holiday season. Our fundraiser tool allows your advocates to raise funds to support your year-end fundraising efforts.
- Participate in a fundraising promotion. We’re offering $10,000 in prizes in the Year-End Campaign to the organizations that raise the most money this December. Organizations must raise at least $3,000 from at least 30 donors to qualify. Learn more here. YouthSpark eligible organizations also have the opportunity to participate in Microsoft’s #GivingTuesday matching campaign. Stay tuned for more details coming soon!
Resource round up
Don’t just take it from us! Learn what others are saying about year-end fundraising. We’ve gathered the best articles and trainings from our peers here: