We’re 10 days into December and this month has already been one for the record books. Last Tuesday, December 3rd, was #GivingTuesday, GlobalGiving’s largest online volume day in history! GlobalGiving processed over $630,000 in donations on December 3rd (not including $250,000 in matching funds provided by Microsoft!).
But there are still 21 days left in this very important month of giving. (Read more about year-end giving trends here.) What is your organization doing to take advantage of the fundraising momentum? Here are some ideas to help you capitalize on the last three weeks of the year.
Raise at least $3,000 from at least 30 donors in the month of December and your organization could qualify for one of nine bonus awards (ranging from $3,000 to $500). GlobalGiving is giving away bonus awards to the top nine projects that raise the most money in the Year-End Campaign. With another 21 days left in this campaign, there’s still plenty of time for your organization to get in the game! Read complete terms and conditions here.
- Put together a communications strategy. Plan to send out at least three email appeals announcing the Year-End Campaign. Use Facebook and other social media to promote this campaign.
- Contact major supporters. Identify major supporters—board members, volunteers, major donors—to help you raise at least $3,000 from at least 30 donors. Reach out directly via email or phone to ask specifically for their help. Remember to show appreciation for their past support and to explain why their help is needed now.
- Create a compelling message. What could your organization do in 2014 with an extra $3,000? Create a message that you can use throughout your campaign about the impact that your donors can make by giving to your project in December.
- Show and tell stories about your community. Include concise, specific, and compelling stories and close-up, high-resolution photos in your messages to supporters.
Christmas is two weeks away. Don’t forget: your supporters can make a donation to your project as a gift for a family member or friend! GlobalGiving will send the gift recipient an email, print-at-home, or physical tribute card.
- Send out a “last-minute Christmas gift” email appeal the week before Christmas. Invite your supporters to make a donation as a gift to your project.
- Share a direct link to the “gift or in-honor-of” tab on your project page in all of your donor communications. Here’s how to create the direct link to the “gift” option:
[Project URL] + ?show=gift
- Give your supporters specific gift options, ex: $50 provides a microloan to a woman in Uganda or $40 provides on year of school for a child in India.
- Share a story and a photo of a child, woman, or furry friend that will benefit from this gift.
According to our friends at Network for Good, 10% of online donations made in the U.S. happen during the last three days of the year: Dec 29, 30, and 31. This is a huge opportunity for your organization to drive last-minute donations before the end of the year!
- Send at least one (if not two) year-end appeals on December 30 or 31.
- Donations through GlobalGiving.org are tax-deductible for U.S. tax-payers.
- Tell your supporters about the impact that your organization can have in 2014 with their year-end gifts.
Recurring Donation Match
From December 20 through the 31st, GlobalGiving will be offering a one-time 100% match on all new recurring donations up to $200 per donor! To qualify for the match, donors must give at least four consecutive months. Read complete terms and conditions here.
- Target outreach to your existing donors. Signing up for a recurring donation is a much bigger commitment than making a one-time donation. Focus your outreach on individuals who have supported your organization before.
- Share a direct link to the recurring donation tab on your project page in all of your donor communications. Here’s how to create the direct link:
[Project URL] + ?show=recurring
- Say a big thank you for a bigger commitment! Consider recognizing your recurring donors in a special way by featuring them on your organization’s website, sending them special updates, or giving away a mug or a t-shirt.
- Stress the added value of making a recurring donation during this promotion. Let your donors know that their recurring donation will receive a one-time 100% match! Emphasize that they have to sign up now to qualify.