It’s been a busy January already. The team at GlobalGiving is gearing up for another fast-paced year packed with fundraising action! In 2013, we’re giving you more occasions to share your organization’s story with GlobalGiving’s supporter and advocates, more opportunities to have donations to your projects matched, and more chances to have your voice heard as we grow and improve the GlobalGiving platform. Learn more about what we have planned in our 2013 Calendar.
But before we plunge into the New Year, we want to pause to say thank you for a tremendous 2012. Last year, your world-changing work—removing landmines in Cambodia, investing in entrepreneurs in Nigeria, training teachers in Peru, and so much more—inspired more than 67,000 donors to give to your projects. Your quarterly reports, openness, and transparency gave 60 corporate partners the confidence to invest $13.8 million in your work. And your feedback and suggestions helped us to dramatically improve our website.
So, from all of us at GlobalGiving, we would like to say a big thank you for making 2012 an incredible success! To show our appreciation, we’ve put together a short thank you video with the hopes of making you smile. Check it out here!
2012 in Numbers
- This past year, $19.4 million was donated on GlobalGiving to support projects in 132 countries!
- 60 companies gave $13.8 million through GlobalGiving in 2012—that’s more companies and more corporate donations than ever before!
- Our Product and Business Development Teams continued to work hard to drive traffic to the site—we had 2.10 million visitors in 2012!
- 67,284 individuals made donations on GlobalGiving in 2012. And 50% of donors chose to add-on a portion of GlobalGiving’s fee to their donation—that’s a 3% increase from 2011.
- Through experiments with various promotions and incentive structures, monthly recurring donation volume on the site increased by 57%–we currently process more than $102,000 in recurring donations a month! (Go Kevin!)
- Sales of GlobalGiving gift cards continued to rise; we sold close to 10,000 gift cards for more than $1.2 million. (Unredeemed gift cards provide matching funds for GlobalGiving campaigns!)
Incredible, right? The momentum that we experienced in 2012 was no coincidence. The team at GlobalGiving worked hard to attract new donors through media outreach, develop and manage valuable corporate partnerships, and provide you with a better user experience and more opportunities to reach out to your own networks. Here are some highlights:
- In 2012, GlobalGiving partnered with Microsoft to launch a new giving platform, Give for Youth, which features microprojects (small projects supporting specific individuals or activities) that are providing continuing education, job training, and entrepreneurship opportunities for youth throughout the world. Microsoft gave away $300,000 in matching funds to participating organizations and purchased $125,000 in gift cards to be redeemed on the Give for Youth site. In the three and half months that the site was live in 2012, more than 40 organizations raised $540,491!
- Our tech team made it possible for you to: schedule project report emails that go out to your donors; duplicate existing projects and microprojects to streamline the project posting process; and submit your due diligence renewal (due every two years) online through an automated system. In addition, drawing on inspiration from the Money for Good initiative, the tech team began a search design experiment to increase donor conversion rates on the website and to optimize the look and feel of GlobalGiving.
- GlobalGiving gave away more than $200,000 in matching funds and GlobalGiving’s partners raised close to $1 million in matching campaigns and fundraising promotions! Check out some of the campaigns we offered in 2012 here.
- We launched our first-ever Project Leader Leadership Council, a small advisory committee made up of individuals representing our partner organizations, and the new Ambassador Program, which identified two GlobalGiving project leaders to represent GlobalGiving in their countries throughout the year. We also continued to expand and improve the services we offer to our partner organizations, including monthly trainings by experts, one-on-one fundraising consultations, in-person visits and workshops through the U.S. and the world, and volunteer listings.
Ok, so 2012 was amazing but 2013 is going to be even better!
We have already announced our 2013 fundraising calendar with the dates for upcoming matching and fundraising campaigns (including brand new promotions and fundraising opportunities!). Take some time to explore and identify promotions that are right for your organization.
Want to learn more about our 2013 calendar?
Join us for a webinar on Wednesday, January 30th at 12:00 pm EST (This time in your city) for an overview of our fundraising campaigns and promotions taking place in 2013. We’ll equip you with strategies for successful fundraising in the New Year.
Help us make GlobalGiving better – join the Leadership Council!
The Council will also act as an ad hoc advisory committee, providing regular feedback and engaging in discussions about new features on the site and ideas for future campaigns via the new Leadership Council Facebook Group and email. Learn more about the Council here. Apply online by Friday, February 8th.