Erica Tavares, International Medical Corps’ Director of Resources Development gave an insightful webinar on setting up a holiday fundraising strategy. We were so lucky to have Erica an expert on fundraising share strategies for getting donor support during the holiday giving season. If you missed Erica’s webinar, don’t worry below you can find a recording and summary of the webinar.
To access Erica’s presentation click here.
- It’s time to get started! Don’t wait until the holidays to begin asking for support.
- Thank your supporters first. Thank them for their dedication to your cause so far.
- Show progress. Let donors know how their donations have made an impact.
Use a Campaign Approach
- Create a holiday communication schedule.
- Thank and report out first. Keep your communication snappy and to the point.
- Ask in November and December. You don’t get credit for not asking, so keep it up!
- Don’t forget year end! International Medical Corps sends out an email once a week leading up to the holidays and one every day on December 29th, 30th and 31st.
- Show impact. Give examples of what a donor’s contribution can do.
- Test if you can. What subject lines are working? International Medical Corps found that the more vague an email the better the open rate. Example subject lines, “Don’t stand in line this holiday season” & “A gift that gives back”
Use a Multi-channel Approach when Contacting Donors and Supporters
- GlobalGiving, use campaigns like the Recurring Donation Campaign to get the word out
- Social media like Facebook, twitter, YouTube
- Online acquisition
- Holiday giving lists
Thank your Donors Quickly
- Email and mail
- Segment if you can, break up thank-yous and asks
- Give supporters other ways to get involved – social media, forward a friend
- Continue to report with success stories and progress