GlobalGiving is excited to announce our first-ever Video Contest! Videos are fantastic tools to reach out to your donors and convey your program goals in an engaging and personal way. The video contest is a great way to get your video promoted and shared.
First, learn what makes a compelling video! We are hosting a webinar on February 2, 2012 about how to create a phenomenal video for your donors.
Here’s how to join the online training:
To get some quick tips now, check out this blog post by Katya from Network for Good. She links to an e-guide for creating videos sent to her by experts at YouTube.
Keep in mind the eligibility requirements when making your video. Only eligible videos will be judged for the contest!
Video Contest Eligibility Requirements:
- Participating organizations must be current partners, leaders, or superstars on GlobalGiving.org. Please note that projects that are only featured on GlobalGiving UK or a partner site including Nike and Action Atlas are not eligible.
- Eligible videos must be between 00:30 and 3:00 minutes long. Videos that are longer than 3:00 minutes will be disqualified.
- The submitted video must focus on the content described in the project.
- Videos must be high quality, creative, and about the project.
- Videos may not contain any copyrighted element. Be sure that you have obtained all necessary legal rights for the content of your video.
- All video participants must give informed consent of their participation.
- Videos may not contain vulgar language or inappropriate content. GlobalGiving reserves the right to determine inappropriate content and disqualify a video.
Looking for some music to add to your video without having to deal with the copyright issues? Check at the Vimeo Music Store where they sell songs for commercial use and even provide some great songs for free!
Once you have your awesome video, you are ready to enter the contest! Remember, the deadline is February 15th at 11:59pm EST (what time is that where I live?).
How to submit your video:
- Upload your video to YouTube.
- Embed your YouTube video into your project page by entering the direct YouTube link to your video under the “Project Video” section of the “Photos & Documents” tab in the project editor in the project entry system.
- Submit the web address for your project page and video in this entry form.
How does the contest work?
- Videos must be uploaded to the project and approved by February 15, 2012 at 11:59pm EST to be eligible. Keep in mind, project approvals can take between 1-3 business days. All participants must also complete the entry form ahead of the February 15th deadline at 11:59pm EST.
- Eligible videos will be judged by Laura Knudson at Green Living Project. Judging will be based on creativity, relevance to the organization’s project, and overall quality.
- Five videos will be selected as winners of the contest by the independent judge. Winners will be announced on February 29, 2012.
We are excited to have Laura Knudson from Green Living Project be the judge for the video contest. Green Living Project is the leading film production company that documents and promotes global stories of sustainability. Green Living Project has documented over 65 stories covering topics such as wildlife conservation, education, community development, sustainable tourism, and sustainable food. These stories are promoted across North America through events, television and online distribution.
Laura Knudson, the Education Program Manager at Green Living Project, has created a successful Education Program built around Green Living Project’s short films, including the K-12 curriculum, “Students Connecting to Global Sustainability,” and the “Student Film Project” competition. Laura is passionate about sustainability education and using storytelling as an educational tool.
Prize for the Winners:
- The five winning videos will each be shared once through GlobalGiving’s Facebook page and once on GlobalGiving’s Twitter feed. GlobalGiving will coordinate with the winning organizations to select the date for the Facebook share and tweet.
- Winning videos and organizations will also be highlighted in a blog post written by GlobalGiving that will be posted in March 2012 and featured on the GlobalGiving blog
- The Green Living Project will also sharing each winning video once through Facebook and once through Twitter. Green Living Project will coordinate with GlobalGiving and the winning organizations for a date to share and tweet the video.
Any questions regarding the video contest can be sent to Sonja Lehner at email@example.com